Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Catching up after Christmas

We've had a very busy Christmas week, as I'm sure is the case with everyone.  I'm thankful to have a busy Christmas, because it means we got to see many family members on both my side and John's. 


We had a great time decorating our house for Christmas, since this is our first year here.  I thought I'd document our decorations from our first year so that we can see how our Christmas collection grows and changes over the years.

First a shot in the daylight of the outside of the house:

Later I added a peppermint wreath to the front door. (I plan to post the pictures/tutorial for how I made it soon.) 

Here are a few of the outside in the dark.  I really wanted a picture of the outside after dark in the snow, but with the warm weather lately, we haven't had much snow to photograph!  I'm not complaining - as my dad said to me today - each warm day during the winter is also one day closer to spring!  (Effectively giving us less winter.)  Although we'd like to go skiing (me) and snowboarding (John) this winter, I wouldn't mind having to drive up north to do it!




I love the bow in the peak instead of a wreath, especially since our home is like a Christmas present to us!

Moving inside, I hung some dollar-store jingle bells on the front door.  They add such a festive sound when we are welcoming guests, or even just letting Tucker outside.


I'm hoping the eventually we will have some kind of garland to drape over and around the door.  I'd also love to put candles in every window in the front of the house next year.

Next I added a little Christmas fun to our wine rack in the front entry.


Both the reindeer and the snowman sing and dance.  I love corny decorations like that!  The reindeer is very special to me.  I had given it to my grandma Noney several years ago at Christmastime.  She thought he was just the cutest thing, with his light up antlers.  She actually kept him on her bed all year long.  Since Noney passed away this year, I wanted a special place for the reindeer at Christmas, so I could see him everyday.  Of course I think about Noney all the time, but this is a fun reminder of all the joy she felt in little things (like a singing reindeer!).  I miss my Noney every day, but I'm also so incredibly thankful to have had such a wonderful grandma in my life for so many years.

Next up, a couple shots of our Christmas tree.  I just love how it turned out.  I especially love the cozy warmth of the lights in the evening.  That's probably what I will miss the most when it's time to take it down.



Tucker snuck into the second one!

Next I have a few pictures of the mantle - I really loved decorating the mantle this year.  This house has such a substantial hearth and mantle - it feels so cozy.



I'm thinking about keeping the light garland up all year - so I can keep some of the pretty, cozy light in the living room (after the tree is gone).


The candle holder gives the little snowmen a little more presence.






And a picture of the family in front of the fireplace.  A great place for a family picture.


Just a couple more accessories completed the extent of my decorating for this year.


Flowers from Hobby Lobby in festive colors.


A dollar store platter with some Hobby Lobby cranberries and a piece of the pearly garland left over from the twig wreath project


Of course, the twig wreath itself.


I added a couple more things after taking the pictures for this post, including a basket full of peppermints.  To make the basket look more full, I placed an upside-down bowl inside the basket, then covered it with green tissue paper before placing the mints inside.  I also have a little Christmas candle holder on the kitchen counter.  You will be able to see it when I post about the edible Christmas presents I made this year.  At the last minute, I bought two antique looking 3D snowflake shaped tealight holders from Pottery Barn on clearance - I love the sparkle and charm they add sitting next to the fireplace.

Well I think that concludes the Christmas decoration tour 2011.  Hopefully I'll be back soon with a couple of the projects I did before Christmas, but didn't have a chance to post yet. Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. I love the Twig Wreath. Very beautiful. That would look really nice hanging above the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you like the wreath! It was really very easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so pretty! Too bad we haven't had a chance to get over and see it in person :( I bet it was so wonderful to have family over to your new house for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim - we miss you guys! Hope your Christmas was fun. We definitely need to figure out a time to get together and catch up soon. Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete